On Thursday 23 May 2019 12:34:16 am Randy Steiner via Emc-developers
wrote:

>  Robert, that is a good link and starts to confirm something else I
> had found on tuning preempt_rt. As the new guy I will likely post
> stuff that others already know and have reviewed. From what I can see
> it looks like RTAI just had a release at version 5.2 with support for
> kernel patches up to 4.14.111 For preempt_rt it looks since each IRQ
> handler shows as a process they can be prioritized separately.  In
> peoples testing, has specific tuning been done to see  if that impacts
> the paraport performance since that appears to be a concern point?  If
> not, I can try that thread and see if I can vary the results. Also I
> ran across another dual-kernel version for RT, https://xenomai.org/.
> has this been looked at before? Thanks!
> Randy

Yes Randy, but its been several years now. I built a xenomai kernel for
TLM, probably close to a decade back, and it worked well at the time.
TLM is what my always drive broken 7x12 has been called, The Little
Monster, but I've rebuilt it better and some hal trickery there to
control the accel of the 1 hp spindle motor, plus getting rid of the
willow tree the compound was, and giving it tapered gibs. It is pretty
solid now, and a usefull tool today.  I made a lot of stuff while
converting the old Sheldon on it.

Anyway the xenomai kernel drove it thru the parport just fine at the
time. I would certainly encourage experimentation to be done by someone
with a software stepper setup. But with the advent of the D525MW
motherboards, and the Mesa 5i25's, I no longer have a software stepping
setup to test it on.

>     On Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 10:19:38 PM MDT, Robert Murphy
> <robert.mur...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>  Sorry for this second post......regarding latency, would this be an
> option
>
> http://www.machinekit.io/docs/hal/threads-and-latency/
>
> On 23/5/19 2:16 pm, Robert Murphy wrote:
> > Could not the repos be setup from a preseed ? (I'm don't know a
> > great deal about the LiveCD but I did make a custom stretch install
> > disk ....for private use.... using a preseed file to config desktop,
> > extra packages and repos)

> >> I will work on this part.
[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett