On my Buster / RTAI test machine I can't get halcompile to work on
_userspace_ components.

it can't find stddef.h, stdarg.h or spawn,h (included in rtapi.h)

It also fails on a standard Buster install with the test debs applied
to install RTAI and LinuxCNC.

However, trying it on a Pi4 running Raspbian and preempt-rt there
seems to be no problem, though the files in question are found on a
path that definitely won't exist on Buster x86
(This was determined using -H as a compiler flag)

. /home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/include/rtapi.h
.. /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/8/include/stddef.h
.. /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/8/include/stdarg.h
.. /usr/include/spawn.h

These are not in the compiler flags set by halcompile
gcc -Os -g -I. -I/home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/src/include -DUSPACE
-fno-fast-math  -fno-unsafe-math-optimizations -DRTAPI -D_GNU_SOURCE
-Drealtime -D__MODULE__ -I/home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/include
-Wframe-larger-than=2560 -DSIM -fPIC -URTAPI -U__MODULE__ -DULAPI -Os
-H -o thermistor /tmp/tmpAlMU_v/thermistor.c
-Wl,-rpath,/home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/lib -L/home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/lib
-llinuxcnchal -lm

So:

1) Does anyone else see this problem, on Buster x86 preempt-rt for example?
2) Where does gcc get those paths from?

--
atp
lunatics."