i was playing with a second spindle on my mill.
I noticed that the second spindle settings are set be default with a plain
s and m code.
Said another way s1000 m3 will turn on all spindles and set all of them to
1000rpm.
You must specify the spindle with $ to set different independent settings.

I see from the docs that this is by design.
I am curious about why this choice - it seems error prone and frankly annoying
to program for.

I would have though that(with multpile spindle defined) either you must always
specify the spindle number or that a plain S code would default to spindle 0.

But maybe I am missing a compelling reason.

Chris