I agree, I never saw the sense in a remote UI, other than all the
"hipster\makers" want to control the world with their phones.
Machinekit, IMHO, seemed to be focused more towards the hobbyist who
wants bells and whistles rather than an industrial\commercial scene.
Don't take this as having a go, but just an observation.

I think Andy (or someone we greater knowledge than myself)may have
mentioned that whilst the GUI buttons can made to reflect the state of a
hardware button, the reverse is not so simple. I'm not suggesting this
is what you have in mind. Whilst a "gui toggle switch" can reflect the
state of a hardware toggle switch, the reverse is not really possible.
Unless of course the hardware switches in that case were momentary with
a light to indicate the status, but would that not complicate hal &
physcial wiring.

If the GUI was just info only, well that could be a way to make it possible.