Hi Gene

On Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2020, 21:53:55 CEST Gene Heskett wrote:
> I find it totally unreal that most shop owners won't spend the sheckles to
> buy a router and maybe a switch to put the network into every machine in the
> building.  Security is in how you do it, and I've not been touched in 20
> some years.

Yes, I know it the same way. Many shop owners have physically separated
networks. That's not the question and no problem.

> Yet I can update any machine on my locale network everytime the buildbot
> makes a new version available  to apt or synaptic.

I know you run a build farm. And I know the cost of a release from developer
point of view.

So let's ask for the other side of view - what's the difference between a
snapshot from master to a ordinally rolled out release - from the user side of
view?
Afaik all they want, are packages to install from without compiling.
So if the buildbot generates that packages, you could simply declare a
snapshot to be a release. That would be a manageable job.

But as I understand Andy, he does a lot of extra testing to deliver a pretty
bugfree release. That's what I'm talking about and I think, that time could be
better invested.

> And I wouldn't have a milliseconds problem with an annual small fee to
> pay for buildbot electricity and server bandwidth.

I know - but users that think the same way as you don't cry for new versions
or for many releases in short cycles.
You help a lot to push the project ahead - so it wasn't you, that I was
talking about.

cheers Reinhard