<ldmarsag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> By the way. I second the dropping the PDF docs in favour of the
> >> HTML ones. It's much more easy to find the info in the HTML docs
> >> that I almost forget there are PDF docs uploaded.
> >
> > The PDF ones are added to the package by the build system. I don't
> > _think_ that the HTML ones are.
>
> PDF docs are quite compact as files, and can be browsed with
> a low-footprint document reader.
> I think that's an advantage.  The whole HTML doc system is
> getting to be a large file set and requires
> a browser that takes more resources.  Some people may want
> to have the docs stored locally on their CNC control for
> quick reference. Some people are also leery of putting their
> CNC on the network, so local is the only way.
>
> Jon

I'm with Jon on this, even if all my stuff IS networked.  Part of the
secret is a guard dog with sharp teeth in the form of a router doing NAT
to local only addresses between me and the cable modem. The router has
been reflashed with dd-wrt and in nearly 20 years no one has got thru it
unless looking at my web page, which is on this machine, and its running
in its own sandbox. So I feel pretty secure, yet each machine can run
its own copy of synaptic or apt to stay updated. I've even ran FF on the
rpi4 from a login from this machine. Painfully slow compared to running
it from its own keyboard and monitor, but it does work.  And I can do it
from a comfy office chair. Whats not to like? But TANSTAAFL, the router
is about 80 bucks, dd-wrt is free.  The convenience is worth it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis