In message "Graphics in posts", eva...@compuserve.com writes:

> Whoa there!
>
> I am highly computer literate and have no problem decoding any 8 to 7 bit
> conversion.  You can even zip it if you want (in fact, please do!).  But
> I'm usually on the road and often trying to connect on noisy lines, at low
> baud rates (eg. 2400 baud in Bangkok).
>
> The last thing I need is somebody sending me an unsolicited 350Kb file,
> when I' trying to download all my messages automatically (no, I don't want
> to have to download one by one, when there are 50 messages queued up!).
> Apart from the obvious tedium of such a download, and it's dubious value to
> me, the telecom charges in some countries can be quite outrageous.
>
> Let's keep in mind that this is an international forum, where not everyone
> has the luxury of access to T3 connections, or even 28.8 baud modems or
> IPs.
>
> BTW, Compuserve does not offer to accept attachments, it just bloody well
> downloads them.  On the other hand, they have the best network of local
> numbers all over the world, so switching providers is not an option at this
> time.
>
> And don't even dream of sending a .BMP file!  As stated in other messages
> on this thread, these files can be very easily converted to .GIF or .JPG,
> that are far more compact.
>
> If we're having a vote on this, I vote for the FTP route (possibly @ieee or
> @rcic?).  Then, if it's of any interest to me, I can choose to download it.
>  I really don't want any more junk mail!  Please keep in mind the
> perspective that your highly inspired jewel of technical or artistic
> creativity, may be completely useless grot for the unwitting receiver.
>
> Alternatively, please keep it to less than 50Kb, or I'll get might hostile.
>
> :-)
> Egon

<snip>

I, too, prefer the use of an FTP site for graphics.  The other benefit of an
FTP site is that you can avoid the inevitable trashing of the attachment by
your mail handler that prevents the image from being viewed.  At least you
have the opportunity to download more than once from an FTP site if info
gets lost in transit.

Geoff Skanes
EMC Engineer
Nortel Technology