Hi Hans:

The IEC 950/EN 60950 definition for a Class I product is:

    "Equipment where protection against electric shock is achieved
     by:

     a)  using BASIC INSULATION, and also

     b)  providing a means for connecting to the protective earthing
         conductor in the building wiring those conductive parts that
         are otherwise capable of assuming HAZARDOUS VOLTAGES if the
         BASIC INSULATION fails.

     Notes

     1  CLASS I EQUIPMENT may have parts with DOUBLE INSULATION or
     REINFORCED INSULATION, or parts operating in SELV CIRCUITS.

     2  For equipment intended for use with a power supply cord, this
     provision includes a protective conductor as a part of the cord."

Your product DOES use basic insulation.

Your product IS provided with a means for connecting to the protective
earthing conductor in the building wiring.  (The fact that the terminal
is not at the supply end of the cord is irrelevant.)

The construction you describe is IMPLIED to be Class I by use of the
two-wire plus ground IEC 320 connector.

I believe there is a requirement either in IEC 950 or IEC 536 that if a
protective grounding terminal is provided, the equipment is considered
Class I even if it is Class II construction throughout.

You cannot apply the double-insulated symbol to a product with a
grounding terminal.

Best regards,
Rich

ps:  The power cord plug is NOT Class 0.  Class 0 is a product with only
     Basic Insulation and for use only in an earth-free insulating
     environment which provides protection against electric shock in the
     event of a fault in Basic Insulation.

     At one time, the Euro authorities believed the normal indoor
     environment to be an earth-free insulating environment, which then
     qualified two-wire, basic-insulated products for use in such an
     environment.

     Some years ago, Class 0 construction was deemed unacceptable in
     Europe (although it appears to be acceptable in Japan).