Hello from San Diego:

>   I saw a product once that was double-insulated, and they removed the
>   ground pin from the _IEC320_receptacle_ (on the equipment).  You could
>   use any power cord, regardless of whether it had a ground wire.
>   Very strange looking.

The product manufacturer DID NOT remove the ground pin from the C14
receptacle.

The IEC 320, C18 appliance inlet has this configuration.  It is a C14
inlet WITHOUT the ground pin.

Yes, it is compatible with the C13 (grounded) version of the cord
connector.  But this is okay as, by definition, the product is
double-insulated and doesn't use the ground wire even though it
is in the cord and cord connector.

On the other hand, the C17 (two-wire) version of the cord connector
is NOT compatible with the C14 (grounded) appliance inlet.

So, we have:

                   Appliance inlet          Cord connector

    Double-
    insulated           C18                   C17 or C13
    product

    Grounded
    product             C14                      C13

Take a look at IEC 320, Figure 1.

Best regards,
Rich