PSNet & Dan,

        The OM (Overall Mark) is a good idea that continues to be promoted
by industry, especially multinational businesses.  Oh that they had control
to proscribe it...  Remember that the underlying basis for all of this is a
political issue in that nations want to control commerce in some manner -
and many of the old-time controls have been taken away by treaty (the GATT
Treaty).  We work in an arena where the high level politicians tug and pull
to get their way.  We see it in the expansion of the need to  have a
certification or mark on the products.  Developing nations have figured out
that they can easily play this game - just adapt the international
standards - ISO/IEC/CISPR, etc. - but demand a local mark of approval. The
country supports a team of technical and bureauocratic personel thru the
tax that you pay to get their bumper sticker.  Americans, especially, like
free enterprise = no restraints.  Big business promoted the use of a
manufacturer's based mark for Europe (the CE marking), but were not too
happy that there is personal criminal penalty attached to signing the MDoC
and applying the mark.    Much of the rest of the world isn't ready for the
whole potato all at once either.  Note the problems that the Japanese and
the Koreans are having trying to reform their old-boy networks to open
their markets and offer opportunity for growth there...  I predict that it
will get worse before it gets better...  So, look at it as job security, at
least you're working (which is better than the alternative)...

        - - - - -

        Peter E Perkins
        Principal Product Safety Consultant
        Tigard, ORe  97281-3427