From:   mmert...@modicon.com[SMTP:mmert...@modicon.com]
Sent:   Thursday, September 10, 1998 6:50 AM
To:     Dan Mitchell
Subject:        Re: Are all these agencies really necessary?

Actually, there is such a system, of sorts. It's called the "CB Scheme".
Various countries have banded together and agreed to accept each
others' certification marks. Unfortunately, there aren't all that many
participants (32, I think), and their Memoranda of Understanding
(MOA) only apply to certain product categories.

The second consideration is the demands of customers. In my case,
our industry and insurance companies are programmed to look for
Factory Mutual approval marks. Even though I could get exactly the
same approval from UL (and others) much cheaper and a heck of a
lot faster, the customers would not be happy. So *sigh* I get FM on
everything whether we need it or not.

See ya
Mike Mertinooke