To:   emc-p...@ieee.org, goedd...@sensormatic.com
cc:    (bcc: Steve Williams/SDD/NAM/APCC)
From: umbdenst...@sensormatic.com on 11/22/99 10:47 AM
Subject:  RE: NRTL acceptance

A corollary to Jim's comments --

We were using a "non-traditional" NRTL with favorable experiences -- rapid
approval process, cost competitive, etc.  Then a particular contract that
we
were bidding on specified the "traditional" NRTL.  Our original NRTL was
assisting us with the educational process until the customer came up with
his own "educational exposure".  It seems that our previous NRTL had not
applied or been approved for the specific standards (a new business that we
had entered into at that time) required for this contract.  They were more
than willing to learn the process, but bottom line, they were not approved
by OSHA for that standard at that time.  The NRTL did not volunteer that
information; the customer pulled it out of the NRTL in one of those "I'm
from Missouri -- show me" challenges.

So when investigating an alternative NRTL, be sure they have the correct
approvals (documented) for the standards applicable to your product.

Don Umbdenstock
Sensormatic