Hi Kamran,

I've run into this problem myself.  Usually, it is because the test
conditions you use are different from what the vendor is using.  They may be
method different from yours.  In the case where your product's configuration
is not identical to the vendor, you can expect some discrepancy.  Compliance
agencies such as UL understand that your conditions of applicability are
different from the vendor's and thus your data will be unique.

If you wish to minimize the discrepancy, load the EUT to maximum rating and
use a similar probing scheme as the vendor.
In some cases,  magnetic flux can be so great that it induces an undesirable
EMF and reading error in which case you might have to run the EUT until
thermal equilibrium occurs then, cut power and take a measurement sweep
immediately afterward.

UL for example, demands that the thermocouple probe be attached to the
windings of the coil -with the thermocouple junction in direct contact with
the wiring and NOT through core, ferrite or tape insulation (if the
conductors are coated there is no need to remove the coating).  I was just
audited a couple weeks ago for COMPASS FUS and was reminded that the use of
cyanoacrylate glue or thermal conductive epoxy to attach a thermocouple to a
coil was entirely acceptable.

Here's a  tip in using thermocouples:  It is best to force the junction
wires of the thermocouple to fuse into a single point and to avoid using a
junction made of twisted bare wires (which forms several thermocouple
contact junctions and can cause errors).  In the fabrication of the
junction, I use a microtorch to fuse type 'J' thermocouples.  Twist the
wires together, but clip the excess off and leave enough that when you hit
it with the torch a 'ball' fuses from the wires and consumes all the twists.

This takes a little practice but works much better than using a zapper to
'arc' weld thin 30 to 36ga. wires (IMHO).  I then check each channel for
accuracy before attachment and test.  On most thermocouple types the red
wires are negative polarity, white is positive.  The thinner the wires, the
better ease in accessing tight spots and getting a good contact.

Kyle Ehler  kyle.eh...@lsil.com <mailto:kyle.eh...@lsil.com>
Assistant Design Engineer
LSI Logic Corporation
3718 N. Rock Road