Kamran,

As John Crabb pointed out, making measurements at different points will give
you some variation due to hot spots etc. What most people miss is that
thermocouple readings are affected by magnetic fields. To get a correct
reading, turn power off and take a reading immidiately after the reading
stabilizes. I have seen the reading change as much as 10-15 degrees when the
power is turned off. Usually the reading jumps higher. I also noticed that how
much the reading changes depends on where I placed the thermocouple. Usually
the biggest change
is when the thermocouple is placed between the core and the coil.

When trying to correlate your readings with your vendor's make sure you're
using the same type of thermocouple and measure at the same point. Find out if
they made the measurement with power on or off.

Several years ago I had the same problem. I called the manufacturer of the
thermocouple I was using. They could not tell me how much my reading would
change but recommended taking the reading with power off.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fred Waechter

Kamran Mohajer wrote:

> Hello EMC-PSTCers,
>
> I wonder if anyone knows of the method of measuring temperature limits on
> magnetic components.  I happen to get involved in this and found that my
> results are different than the vendors result by as much as 10-15 degrees on
> measuring on a same magnetic component.  Even applying the thermocouple to
> different location on a coil seems to give you different results.  Is there a
> method that I should be following to measure temperature with thermocouples
> methods, not change of resistance, on magnetic parts such as transformers,
> coils, etc.?
>
> Thanks,

> Kamran Mohajer
> DSL Compliance Lead