I would not have thought that a variation of 10-15 degrees was unusual. If
you
apply your thermocouples to the outside of a coil or transformer winding, it
is
likely that there will be localised hot spots, depending on how close you
are to
the core; how many layers of insulation there may be in the region of your
thermocouple; air gaps between the windings and the insulation; and the
consistency
of the "thermal resistance" between your thermocouple and the point of
application.

I have also noted wild discrepancies when measuring temperatures of EHT
transformers in VDUs, (obviously due to EMC affecting my data-logger !!),
which I could only resolve by momentarily switching off the VDU and making
my
measurement quickly.
Regards,
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Kingsway West, Dundee, Scotland. DD2
3XX
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.   VoicePlus
6-341-2289.