Keep in mind that the 28% oxygen index pertains to individual materials
within the equipment (PWB's, etc.), rather than some sort of overall
empirical measurement during the system fire test.

In a nutshell, materials are tested in an oxygen-controlled environment
to see if they will support combustion in a >28% oxygen concentration.
The idea is that if the materials require >28% oxygen concentration to
combust, the material is considered more fire-resistant, and will
therefore contribute less fuel to the fire.

Dwight