We're right back to the starting point. No quantitative measurement, (and
I'm not sure that if we think about it real hard that we want to much
oversight here). You're note below indicates one quantitative metric ,
oxygen index,  and then immediately points out that it may get thrown out
because of a qualitative assessment; the RBOC's reserve the right to view
...... and if they FEEL its that.... This right is based on, if you'll
pardon me, smoke and mirrors.
Rich makes some very good points about the only metrics really available,
dielectric withstand afterwards etc, and I have successfully argued them to
get product acceptance. But the bottom line is that we have to use a little
thought before deploying any product. You may be able to  get the safety
label but does that mean you ship it. Again, Rich's comments on clean rooms,
or other secondary hazards, comes to point. You might get it past UL, but
you have a whole other problem when the customer comes calling because of
the failure.
Excessive smoke really has to be determined by the designer for the use and
application of the product. The various agencies may have a minimum
requirement but in my opinion you need to have either accepted or rejected
the smoke levels base on you own requirements and then proceed. If the
agencies are concerned hold them to the standards, as indefinite as they may
be, or possible rejecting the product even before it gets that far if you
application requirements are more stringent than the agencies. If I were
building a product for the growing number of environmentally sensitive
folks, any smoke would be too much, regardless of the standards. If I were
building it for a development lab I might not be quite so stringent. Having
let the smoke out of several transistors I don't think a little more is of
critical nature.