The heart of the Fire Resistance test is the 'Cone Calorimeter' developed by

Vytenis Babrauskas, Ph.D. (the Ph.D. is in Fire Science). The cone
Calorimeter is located within a 'hood' above the test sample. UL, ASTM,
Bellcore, Western Fire Center, and additional labs, utilize this device. The
smoke is sampled as it passes the cone calorimeter while being exhausted out
of the test chamber.
I don't know the details, but I do know that the duct is a given diameter at
that point.
For more information on the calorimeter see the following link (then click
on 'facilities'. There is a link for detailed technical info).

http://www.westernfire.com/

Additionally, Bob Backstrom of UL's Northbrook, Ill. office, is a fire
safety expert and was involved with the development of the standards
utilized by UL and Bellcore. He could also be of help.

John A. Juhasz
Product Qualification &
Compliance Engr.

Fiber Options, Inc.