Hello Group,

>From EMC emissions point of view, any cable connected to any device
is prone to conducted emission problems. The is because grounding problems
in a PCB exist  or enclosure currents flow between shielded connectors. This
leads to CM currents that will be measured.

The criterion for testing is if any cable gets that long
that frequencies below 30 Mhz can get out : l > lambda/4
This requires cables to be longer than 2m50 at 30 Mhz to over 750 m at 150
KHz.
This requirements is easily met by LAN and other ports.

In the past no electrical equipment had any cable but the mains.
The ITE equipment was recognized to have PSTN cables that long.
Now antenna cables on Radio/TV gets the same treatment (and more)
Cable television distribution system need conducted testing too.

My opinion is that any "network" connection needs testing for Conducted
emissions.

In the case of the PC and the LAN card: definitely test.
The attenuation of ground noise in any slot of the MB by the
LAN card to the LAN cable, shielded or unshielded is unknown.

In one MB it may pass, the other may fail.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/