As we know, IEC 60950 only addresses "Marking and instructions" for the
safe use of ITE.   It does not address agency marks, or when and where they
are applied.

If I were starting the first certification agency in the universe, common
sense would dictate that the "mark" of conformity be applied at the time
and place of safety testing, viz. hi-pot, earthing resistance, and leakage.
This generally takes place immediately before the product is packaged for
warehousing and/or shipment.

However, assume that an ITE product is built at location A, and shipped to
location B for final safety testing. If my "new" agency is going to require
factory inspections, it would require going to location A to verify the
components used are correct, and to location B to verify that appropriate
production testing was taking place.  I would still want the "mark" applied
at location B, even though the "mark" is based on successful inspections at
both locations.

In today's world, agencies have provisions for "split inspections" to deal
with such a situation.

It would be hard to justify applying a "mark" of conformity anywhere other
than where the product is manufactured and/or tested.

George Alspaugh
Lexmark International Inc.

[My personal opinions.]