Hi Jack:

>   You are implying, but not stating, that NEC has the force of law
>   regarding the domestic environment.

I meant to state that the NEC does indeed have the force
of law not only for the domestic environment but for all
electrical installations within the scope of the NEC.

>   This differs with my understanding, or lack thereof. I have
>   always regarded the National Electric Code as a recommended set
>   of standards and practices which enabled localities to reference
>   NEC in their local building codes, rather than develop their own
>   from scratch.

The NEC as published by the NFPA is indeed a recommended
code.  It is specifically offered to authorities for adoption
as their Code.  For example, the States of Oregon and Washington
adopt each edition of the Code.  The adoption is NOT a reference,
but a true establishment of the NEC as the local Electrical Code,
i.e., a regulation under the law.

(Most authorities adopting the Code also have a few variations
as well as identification of accepted safety certification
houses.  Sometimes, this is a pamphlet that supplements the
NEC book.)

However, various governments do indeed develop their own
electrical code.  The cities of Chicago and Los Angeles are
two examples.

>   Perhaps you can expand on where the force of law applies to the
>   NEC with regard to portable, plug-in (not permanently wired) home
>   appliances and such?

The adoption of the Code makes the Code a regulation under
the law.  Usually the law is the one that establishes the
Building Code, of which the Electrical Code is a part.

I recently posted a message specifically identifying the NEC
Articles that specify third-party safety certification of
appliances.

I hope this answers your question!

Best regards,
Rich