Mike:

There is no Federal requirement for the manufacturer to have
equipment listed or NRTL approved. The requirements are set by
localities, as Richard Woods clearly points out.

I can understand that in some companies, the "powers-that-be"
have little patience with the time and expense of obtaining a
listing. The delay in hitting the market is often more costly
than the approval process itself.

I say TOUGH. They should have allowed for that in the original
project plan and schedule. There was one, wasn't there?

If you are having a problem, just ask marketing to agree to
exclude the areas that Richard enumerated from their sales areas.
If it's OK to exclude LA, etc. etc., than listing isn't needed,
legally.

But the competition may be listing, so not doing so puts you at a
disadvantage.

I have asked managers to imagine sitting on the witness stand at
a product liability trial, and trying to answer the question, why
didn't you get safety approval from an NRTL?

When the implications of shortcuts are driven home, most people
see the light. Those that don't need to stick their fingers in an
unlisted light socket.

Rant concluded, best regards,

Jack

Jacob Z. Schanker, P.E.