Hi Gregg:

>   Just to ensure that I have my understanding right - if the equipment is used
>   where OSHA applies then it must be approved by a third party like UL

Yes.  More specifically:

   If... the product is used by an employee in the workplace...

   Then... the product must be certified by an NRTL,
   of which UL is one.

>   If it is domestic then it does not (in most states.

No and yes.

    No, OSHA rules do not apply to a domestic place.

    Yes, NEC rules apply to a domestic place and do
    require third-party safety certification.

OSHA rules apply to the workplace, not to domestic places.
So, domestic places are not required -by OSHA- to have
NRTL-certified products.

HOWEVER, the National Electrical Code applies everywhere,
including domestic places.  The NEC requires products,
including domestic products, to be "listed" by a third-
party engaged in the safety evaluation of products.

The NEC does not specify the third-party.  During the
process of adoption of the NEC by various city, county,
or state governments, the government agency decides
which certification houses are acceptable to them.  The
acceptable certification houses are published locally.

For a third-party certifier, this means the certifier
must not only apply to OSHA for NRTL, but must also
apply to every jurisdiction in the USA for acceptance
under the NEC.

Many, but not all NRTLs are also accepted by the various
city, county, or state governments under the local version
of the NEC.

Likewise, there are some certifiers who are accepted by
one or more governments under the NEC, but are not NRTLs.

There are a few pockets where local governments do not
require "listing" under the NEC.

In summary:

    OSHA requires products used in the workplace to be
    certified by an NRTL.

    The NEC requires products used in an installation
    (including domestic places) to be certified by an
    organization designated by the local government
    agency charged with enforcing the NEC.

These are independent functions.

For all practical purposes, third-party safety certification
is required throughout the USA.

Enforcement of both OSHA and NEC for cord-connected products
is spotty at best.

Since virtually all products are NRTL-certified, OSHA spends
its time addressing more immediate workplace safety issues.

Since cord-connected products are installed AFTER the
electrical installation is complete and approved, and since
virtually all products are safety-certified, there is little
or no enforcement of NEC-required certification.

>   AND, does anyone have a list of States where certification is mandated?

I would be easier to come up with a list of where certification
is NOT required!  :-)  It would be a one-page list of cities
or counties which have very low population densities.

Best regards,
Rich