John:

I thought I had lost your original statement about CE not having a bearing
on Quality. I would agree also. The statement was made, as I recall, in some
article in Compliance Engineering.  Not that UL is a quality mark or RU or
FCC 15 etc.   Quality is highly dependant on how your marketing people
perceive it and refers to appearance, dependability, reputation, need
fulfillment and a host of things thought to benefit the cutomer - from the
manufacturer's view.

On the other hand a CE mark is a rating of performance and how many
consumers even know about it?  I ask every computer salesman I have occasion
to meet the meaning of CE and I have yet to find one who knows. After I
explain it to him, he agrees that some generic immunity is a good thing.

If you look at all the components and larger computer peripherls now bearing
a CE mark, it must be cost effective to include it.

I suppress consumer equipment that suffers from no immunity with a simple
non intrusive method and suggest to the same consumer to be aware and next
time look for a product with the CE mark.   I yet to encounter a problem
with a CE marked product ( modems, video cards, displays, CD players, and
even boom boxes) that could never hack it in today's RF environment.

CE is a consumer benefit because it guarnatees a minimum level of immunity
With all these domestic wireless devices , it makes prudent engineering
sense. Designed in is the only way to go. I don't want to do this forever.

Ralph Cameron
EMC Consulting and Suppression of Consumer Electronics.
(after sale)