If the product contains mechanical devices such as disk, floppy, DVD etc and
has s/w
that has operation cycle times in the neighborhood of 1s or so then the 0.1 to
10 s
may have very different results at different points in that timing range.

--- Gary McInturff <gary.mcintu...@worldwidepackets.com> wrote:

>       ESD susceptibility has a couple of components. Simplistically,
> don't let it happen or try to direct the energy where you want it, and does
> the event happen at just the right (wrong?) time. Just as a critical gate is
> changing states for example. Given the relative rate that modern processors
> are running 800 Mhz - 1 Ghz, I don't know that increasing the discharge rate
> from a second to 20 or even 50 times a second really increases your ability
> to capture one of these states. Having said that, I don't really have a
> quarrel with increasing the rates for investigative purposes, I have done it
> myself.       However, I think you should keep in mind the heating of
> silicon junctions etc, from the rapid discharge rates. Even non-critical
> gates can be artificially damaged by rapid pulses. I can't think of a case
> when an ESD discharge (not lightning etc) naturally occurs at very high
> rates. I'd be interested in examples if it does occur.
>       Not a bad diagnostic tool but I wouldn't care to see higher rates
> implemented in standards.
>       Gary
>       (You can't expect much for two cents these days)

=====
Best Regards
Hans Mellberg
Regulatory Compliance & EMC Design Services Consultant
By the Pacific Coast next to Silicon Valley,
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
408-507-9694

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/