From: John Woodgate [mailto:j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 12:29 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: TV nostalgia

<95fbd8b0830ed511b7720002a51363f1319...@exw-ks.ks.lsil.com>, Ehler, Kyle
<keh...@lsil.com> inimitably wrote:
>    Doug has touched on what I think would be a great tool for the
>    EMI hunter...but rather than a 'sniffer', a 'goggle' similar
>    to what Geordi wears that facilitates the direct viewing of EM
radiation.

>    Ideally, the device would allow adjustable band 'viewing' of the
radiation
>    frequency, intensity, polarity and propagation pattern(s).

Yes, it sounds much more attractive than a sniffer, which would produce
BAD smells around some equipment. And it isn't technically unfeasible.
The problem is the poor resolution, even a microwave frequencies, due to
the wavelength of the emission. At 150 kHz, the wavelength is 2 km, so
only very BIG things are visible.

This message and its contents are not confidential, privileged or protected
by law. Access is only authorised by the intended recipient - this means
YOU!
The contents may be disclosed to, or used by, anyone and stored or copied in
any medium. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender
yesterday at the latest.