        From:  Chris Maxwell [SMTP:chris.maxw...@nettest.com]
        Sent:  Monday, June 11, 2001 8:56 AM
        To:  'John Woodgate'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
        Subject:  RE: FW: Product Safety: A Matter of Law or Litigation?

        Hi all,   (refer to John's "inimitable" :-) reply below)

        Even though my previous response may not sound like it; I agree with
you on
        this one John.  Manufacturers should go the extra mile.  I think
that we're
        all trying to figure out which road to go the extra mile on.  (with
regard
        to products that fall outside the scope of the Low Voltage
Directive,
        Machinery Directive, Toy Directive,  RT&TTE Directive......even the
General
        Product Safety Directive).

        I saw a reply from a collegue at Agilent.  He mentioned a "Product
Liability
        Directive".

        Ever heard of that one?  Anybody have a copy of it that cares to
comment?

        >  Now imagine you are a defendant in a court case. Prosecuting
counsel
        > says to you, 'So, Mr. Maxwell, you have explained to the court
that your
        > company is not responsible for the dreadful injury inflicted on
Mr.
        > Smith by your company's product, because the General Product
Safety

            http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"