>>Mr. Woodgate says:
>>Because the scope of the standard is quite independent of the scope of the
LVD.

Again, this begs the question - a matter of law or liability? The LVD is LAW
- if a product falls within the scope of the LVD, then the product must be
evaluated to the harmonized standard before placing said product in the
Community market. Using an independent third party to evaluate the product
(a wise choice) is optional. No arguement that the scope of a particular
standard is independent of a Directive. EN60950 would be the natural choice
of standard, but my question is, where is the law that supports this choice?

>>Mr. Woods says in an earlier reply:
>>...obtain approval marks for the US and Canada due to the potential of
litigation. You will have shown due diligence which may assist in limiting
any liability issues. In the EU, however, they have "no-fault" liability -
if someone is hurt by a defect in your equipment, you are at fault no matter
what approvals you have. A safety approval in Europe is for useful for
marketing purposes only.

Good point, and an interesting view. Let me clarify that "no-fault"
liability means that the injured party need only prove that the product was
defective, and that the defect caused injury or property damage; the injured
party does not have to show negligence on the part of the manufacturer, as
is the case here in the states. Also, a safety approval does not relieve the
manufacturer from liability in any court in the world, not just the EU.
Basically, evaluating a product to an accepted safety standard could be
viewed (cynically) as building your liability defense case before marketing
your product.

So far, I have found no iron-clad reason for evaluating a product outside
the scope of the LVD to the EN standard. Many compelling reasons, but it
seems to be a matter of litigation rather than law, and the choice is made
based on the level of liability risk the manufacturer is comfortable with.
I'm not debating the wisdom of said choices.

It could be argued that a wrist watch falls within the scope of the EN60950
standard. Modern watches have calculators in them, etc. However, to apply
that standard to a device with such low voltage, and low potential for harm
seems very extreme. So the risk is very low. However, a battery powered
device incorporating Li-Ion batteries, laser devices, LCD backlight
inverters, etc, even if the device does not fall within the scope of the
LVD, is on the high side of the risk factor scale. It may be a wise choice
to evaluate that product to EN60950 before marketing it in the EU.

Thank you all for sharing your valued opinions, insights, experience, and
knowledge.

Best Regards,

Doug