Hi Doug,

You've struck upon the same question that my company (and I assume, many
others) has wrestled with.  To answer your question directly (considering
only the European market).  Making your product safe is a matter of law.
Using a third party lab to evaluate the safety is a matter of litigation.
My reasons follow:

If your product runs from less than 75VDC or 50VAC, the law says that the
Low Voltage Directive does not apply.

I assume that you have checked to see if your product  is covered by other,
more specific directives such as the Machinery Directive, Medical, R&TTE ...
I assume that none of these apply.  If you haven't checked this, I would
recommend it.

Every product not covered by a is covered by the General Product Safety
Directive.  So here, the LAW says that you need to make a safe product.  The
LAW also says that the manufacturer is liable for the safety of the product.
However, the LAW does not absolutely require a 3rd party lab safety
evaluation to do so.  You can evaluate the safety of the product yourself.
You can even use EN 60950 if you technically feel that this is the most
applicable standard.

This is where litigation comes in.  If there ever was an accident with your
products, the third party safety evaluation MAY help keep the judgements
against your company down. However,  It is no guarantee.

So, look at a bunch of factors:

1.  Are you absolutely sure that you have assessed your product and found
the correct directive that it is covered by?

2.  Does your company  feel comfortable that they can asses and mitigate all
of the liability risks (electrical shock, chemical, fire, battery
explosion...) of your products?  Would you or one of your engineering
colleagues be able to look a jury in the eye in the case of an accident?

3.  What are your customers expectation?  Do they expect a third party
safety eval?  Have they ever asked about it?

4.  What are your competitors doing?

5.  Do you have a cost estimate from a third party lab for the safety eval?
That way, you'll have a cost to compare against the benefits.

These are my opinions only and I admit that my opinions are the concoctions
of one mind trying to figure out a gillion confusing (and sometimes
contradictory) pages of regulatory documents.

Stay compliant my man.

!!!!!!!!!PLEASE NOTE THE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!!!
Chris Maxwell
Design Engineer
NetTest
6 Rhoads Drive, Building 4