<83d652574e7af740873674f9fc12dbaa675...@utexh1w2.gnnettest.com>, Chris
Maxwell <chris.maxw...@nettest.com> inimitably wrote:
>Doug Massey, Mike Sherman and I have corresponded privately regarding this
>thread.
>
>Doug and Mike have found language in the General Product Safety Directive
>that explicitly excludes "commercial" (my paraphrase, see exact quote below)
>equipment.  I stand corrected on a previous email of mine that applied the
>General Product Safety Directive more liberally to any equipment falling
>outside of the scope of a specific (i.e. Low Voltage, Machinery, Toy...)
>directive.
>
>They forwarded the quote to me, I figured that I would share my lesson.
>
>The language is found in one of the "Whereas" clauses.
>
>See quote below.

Now imagine you are a defendant in a court case. Prosecuting counsel
says to you, 'So, Mr. Maxwell, you have explained to the court that your
company is not responsible for the dreadful injury inflicted on Mr.
Smith by your company's product, because the General Product Safety
Directive does not apply to 'commercial equipment'. Do you not agree
that what you are asking the jury to accept is that Mr. Smith should be
protected from injury by the law in his home, but that he forfeits any
such protection as soon as he sets foot in his workplace?'

Go the extra mile: don't assume a 'whereas' will save you!
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Why not call a vertically-