Product safety is a relative term.  It usually means that
a product meets the public's generally accepted level of risk
for the benefits it provides.  My plastic coffee mug is quite
"safe", aside from the stuff that I sometimes allow to grow
inside.  My chain saw is a nightmare waiting to happen, but it
provides benefits well beyond the hand powered bow saw I once
used.

Humans are willing to take many risks which have some rewards,
driving a car, flying in a plane, skiing, filling up their gas
tank, etc.  In my opinion, even if cellphones are someday found
to increase the risk of cancerous brain tumors, the public will
not let that stop them from suing what has become a part of the
culture, moreso in underdeveloped countries, as their existing
land line phone systems suck.

However, there are some products we purchase and use all the time
for which we assume there is little or no risk.  A good example
might be the home or office ITE devices we use.  Do you really
think of possible injuries when using your PC, printer, scanner,
etc.?  Aslo, look at how many CPSC recalls are for seemingly
benign products; pajamas, plastic toys, curtains, ......?

Speaking of vehicle safety, when was the last time you heard of
an accident that was totally due to a defective part.  Accidents
are largely due to bad drivers.  When we speak of car safety,
don't we usually mean that when a bad driver causes an accident,
the car's design should protect us from any serious consequences?

Most folks in first world countries have enough drugs in their
medicine cabinet, and flammable liquids in their garage to either
poison or burn down the entire neighborhood.  Is this "safe"?
I don't think so, but these are products we have accepted as a
part of everyday life.

George Alspaugh