From: cherryclo...@aol.com
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: EMC-related safety issues
Date: Mon, Dec 31, 2001, 7:12 AM

Dear all
There was a discussion about electromagnetic emissions and safety issues a
couple of weeks ago which I only caught the tail end of, so I hope my
comments below are relevant and useful.
I would also like to make a plea for assistance.

Spurious emissions and safety.
Even if we ignore 'leakages' from intentional transmitters and industrial RF
processing equipment (such as dielectric heaters) and also ignore biological
(human health) hazards, it is quite clear that spurious emissions can
increase the risks of some safety hazards.

I have worked on problems where spurious emissions from microprocessor-based
systems were interfering with safety-related radio communications, and also
on a pulsed-laser welder that interfered with helicopter air traffic control
radio communications. The laser could only be operated when the nearby
airport was closed to helicopters during the night.

Section 7 of the 'core' of the IEE's professional guidance document on 'EMC
and Functional Safety' includes an example of a airplane passenger's laptop
significantly affecting the pilot's compass reading. You can download this
useful guide for free from www.iee.org.uk/Policy/Areas/Electro (note: this
URL may be case sensitive).

Another useful source of interference anecdotes is the "Banana Skins" column
in the EMC and Compliance Journal, which may be read at
www.compliance-club.com. The two most recent issues are 'live' on the site
and the others can be read by searching its archives.

The IEE's Guide on EMC and Functional Safety.
This guide adopts much the same approach to dealing with EMC-related safety
issues as IEC/TS 61000-1-2:2001 "Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) -
Part1-2: General - Methodology for the achievement of the functional safety
of electrical and electronic equipment with regard to electromagnetic
phenomena".
(A key member of the IEC 61000-1-2 committee is a very senior safety expert
and also a key member of the IEE Working Group that created this guide -
helping to ensure compatibility between the two documents.)
I understand that - after any modifications found necessary during its trial
period - IEC/TS 61000-1-2 will probably become harmonised under the Low
Voltage and Machinery safety directives.

The IEE's guide on EMC and Functional Safety has been published for 18
months and downloaded by many thousands of professionals. I chaired a
well-attended one-day seminar on it in London UK in February 2001 and
presented a well-attended paper on it at the IEEE EMC International EMC
Symposium in Montreal Canada last August (pages 774-779 in Volume 2 of the
Proceedings). A number of articles about this IEE guide and the issues
associated with EMC-related functional safety have appeared during 2000 and
2001 in international trade journals, most recently in ITEM UPDATE 2001
(pages 52-59).

The IEE has received many congratulations on this guide but so far has
received no negative comments or suggestions for improvement - but of course
it is far from perfect and the WG that wrote it expects to update and
improve it during 2002 and 2003.

All suggestions for corrections, additions, or improvements from emc-pstc
members or anyone else are most welcome. If you don't want to share your
input with the whole emc-pstc group please send it to me directly at
keith.armstr...@cherryclough.com or cherryclo...@aol.com, or else send them
directly to Robert Croll in the Policy Division of the IEE:
rjecr...@iee.org.uk.

Many thanks!

Finally, I wish you all a wonderful 2002!

Keith Armstrong
Cherry Clough Consultants
http://www.cherryclough.com