let us make the discussion a little bit more to the point:

The discussion about interference caused by unwanted emission of electronic
equipment:

Limits for emission are essentially to protect (radio)receivers. (DOT)
I have never met an equipment lacking immunity of any field strength at any
frequency within 60 dB above the limits in f.a. CISPR22 that was not a
(frequency selective) receiver.
I cannot imagine any piece of electronics where such a field strength can
interfere with its functioning without this equipment malfunctioning in 99%
of civil areas due to intentional transmitters having the same field
strength or higher.

The level of emission from CISPR22 compliant equipment is that low that
interference with radio receivers can only happen within the boundaries of
less then 100 meters from the interfering equipment. We all know about the
serious problems we have even measuring  electrical or magnetic fields of
this strength with especially designed equipment such as measuring
receivers, actually operating close to the limits that technically can be
achieved within the bandwidth defined.

A side step:

There are 2 sections in society that are of extreme relevance
to the life of people involved. Both have been protected against
influence of low and strong radiation by other measures then increased
immunity:
- one is aircraft equipment : esp. AM modulation systems for speech
- medical equipment : IEC 60601 involves a very simple EMC test scheme older
then the generics standard. The relevance of medical equipment's reliability
need no further explanation, I believe.

The earlier category is traditionally protected by stringent emission
limits, and calls for it's relevance by lives depending on the equipment to
justify protection of the spectrum for it's radio bands. No serious
improvements therefore have been made in civil aircraft communication
systems since Marconi (;<)

The latter category protects it's interest by calling out for banning
cellular in hospitals (as this was the first real sign of lack of immunity).
Although we all understand the relevance of this measure, it makes no excuse
for lousy immunity regulations for medical equipment. The emc immunity tests
in Europe for a professional burglar alarm or tape recorder are
substantially more severe as those for heart monitoring equipment. I believe
this is an important lack of responsibility from both IEC and the industries
involved, especially if we consider the costs of medical equipment.

My understanding is that this discussion about EMC and safety (when spurious
emissions are involved) is fed by (very short sighted)
economical/traditional  reasons within the categories of equipment
manufacturers mentioned above.

1. The costs for better communication systems are not that high (apart from
upgrading) and might easily be paid for if only one accident a year was
saved.

2. AM based communications systems lack reliability, security and are much
more prone to terrorist attacks (need this be explained ?) then simple small
band FM or frequency hopping modulation schemes.

3. Costs for EMC are virtually zero if designed in from the first stage of
development.
Even substantial costs for increased immunity pay back for themselves by
reduced ghost service calls and non defective returned equipment (failed
only at customers premises), increased selling potential and customer
satisfaction.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/