From: Jim Eichner [mailto:jim.eich...@xantrex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 3:55 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Coaxial Switches - use with spectrum analyzer and gear?

In our pre-compliance lab, we've got a pair of LISN's, a LISN-mate type
thing that I'll call a DMRN (DM rejection network), a transient limiter,
some clamp-on RF current probes, an amplifier, the front end of the
analyzer, and a 50 ohm terminator.  All this gear is connected and
unconnected a hundred times a day when we're deep into trouble-shooting, and
I'm sick of doing up and undoing coax connectors.  I don't trust push-on
coax connectors.

What I envision is a system with a few of these coax switches in it. The
analyzer input would go to a switch that selected either the amp (used only
with the clamp-on probes) or the transient limiter (used with the LISN's).
The limiter input would go to a switch that selected between the output of
the DMRN or the Line LISN or the Neutral LISN.  Etc.  You get the idea.

Is there anything to stop me from using coax switches with suitable CW
power, insertion loss, and frequency spec's? Am I headed for trouble if I
have 2 or 3 of these switches in the signal path, due to cumulative
insertion loss?

Thanks for your feedback,

Regards,
Jim Eichner, P.Eng.
Manager, Engineering Services
Xantrex Technology Inc.
Mobile Power
web: www.xantrex.com <http://www.xantrex.com>
Any opinions expressed are those of my invisible friend, who really
exists. Honest.

copies of the original message.