From: Douglas C. Smith [mailto:d...@emcesd.com]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 2:18 PM
To: Gary McInturff
Cc: Pommerenke, David; Chris Maxwell; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Suitable CDN for IEC61000-4-6 ethernet 10/100

Hi All,

Just a word of caution about test equipment used to measure EUT
performance, such as a LAN-analyzer or similar equipment that counts
errors. My experience has been that some of this equipment is itself
very susceptible to EMI. In a recent case, I had to move a bit-error
tester to the other side of the lab on the end of a fiber in order for
it not to register errors while testing the EUT. It was so sensitive
that low levels of ESD in the room (not applied to the EUT), that did
not affect the EUT itself, caused the test equipment to register many
false positive error counts.

On a similar point, on that same job, I found the lab scope (a modern 5
GSa/sec unit) was itself susceptible. One of my techniques to measure
EMI induced noise on a board would not work because the scope displayed
more noise with a closed 50 Ohm termination, instead of my measurement
apparatus, on its input BNC than the noise I was trying to measure in
the first place.

Doug

Gary McInturff wrote:

>         Yup, when we do immunity testing - we see the occassional crc error
> or the ilk, but I've never seen a problem with the link. We use an Ixia box
> to cram data down the lines. There are probably many other traffic generators
> that will work just fine but none of them are pocket change.
>         Gary

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org