Ghery:

Every couple of years, I rise to the level of personal expert, as I endure
the local bi-annual vehicle smog inspection. Two days ago, I had my 1974
Chevy Nova tested. (It passed, as usual, with measured emissions at 3% to
10% of allowable limits, but I had to buy a new gas tank cap.)

They check the hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide emission
levels. They look to be sure you still have all your Federally required
emission systems. They check the function of engine systems like the PC
valve, the exhaust gas valve and the ignition timing. Testing is performed
on a dynamometer, at low & high speed. They even take off your gas tank cap
and make sure it holds a vacuum.

The rules are a labyrinth. California does smog checks on 1974 and newer
models only. Unless your car is new, or up to a few (?) years old, and then
you are also exempt. Not every county in California requires the smog
checks. And in counties which do require the testing, some parts of counties
are exempt. I live in El Cajon in San Diego county, but if I had a legal
address in Julian (same county, just about 40 miles away) I would be exempt.
(It's interesting that Julian has a huge population that uses PO boxes and
never seems to be in town.)

When your car is from the 70's, you periodically are notified that you are a
"gross polluter" and have to get your smog check done at a special "test
only" station. (This type of test station is supposed to be more honest,
since they are prohibited from providing any repairs, or even advice on your
car's condition, other than handing you the computer print-out.)

The whole test takes about 30 minutes, with almost everything under computer
control. Newer cars, with on-board computers, are being tested by connecting
the station computer to the vehicle's data port. Makes you wonder how much
information about your driving habits and maintenance is being stored in
your car's computer. Maybe the DMV will soon be able to download speed and
acceleration data. Maybe you can get a moving violation from pulling too
many g's (higher gas consumption, higher emissions) or exceeding 65 MPH
(maybe billed like power, in increments of MPH-minutes). Maybe ignoring your
"check engine" idiot light will become a DMV felony.

The ultimate step will be to equip your on-board computer with a short-range
data link. Then, periodic roadway sensors can determine if you are allowed
to drive under current conditions. You might be given an option to slow to
42 MPH maximum, or pay a speed surcharge, or halt until 10 PM when smog
control limits relax.

I'm thinking about moving to Julian.

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis