Does anyone else think that ordinary semiconductors doesn't respond to RF?

I have tested a product which was little more than an LM324 quad op-amp for
RF immunity using IEC 61000-4-3. This op-amp has a slew rate of
1V/micro-second on a good day with the wind in its favour. It was housed in
an unshielded plastic enclosure.

Demodulated noise that exceeded the (not very tough) product specification
were seen all the way up to 500MHz at a number of spot frequencies that
appeared to be due to the natural resonances of the input and output cables.

Above 500MHz this resonant behaviour vanished to be replaced by a steadily
rising level of demodulated 1kHz tone as the frequency increased. I stopped
testing at 1GHz, where the output error from the product was about 10% and
still rising with increased frequency.

OK, the field strength for the test was 10V/m (unmodulated) but the real
surprise was how well this very cheap and very slow opamp demodulated the RF,
and that it demodulated better at 1GHz than at 500MHz.

I have done many many immunity tests using IEC 61000-4-3 on audio equipment
and found much the same effects with every product I've ever tested.
With most larger products there is usually a roll-off in the demodulation
above 500MHz - not because the semiconductors in the ICs can't respond (they
can) but apparently because larger products have higher losses above 500MHz
or so between the cable ports and the semiconductors, plus a denser structure
that might provide more self-screening.

The transistors and diodes in all modern ICs (analog or digital) are so tiny
that they make excellent detectors at UHF and beyond. As they get smaller
(and they are) their frequency response increases (and their vulnerability to
upset and damage decreases).

Regards, Keith Armstrong