The IEE's guide on EMC and Functional Safety is concerned with helping
engineers and managers avoid legal problems - but I don't call this
appeasement, just good practice.
But the guide is also concerned with saving lives in a world where electronic
control of safety-related functions is proliferating madly.

As my paper at the IEEE's EMC Symposium in Montreal and my recent article in
ITEM UPDATE 2001 show - at present EMC standards don't address safety issues,
and most safety standards don't address EMC-related functional safety issues.

Regards, Keith Armstrong