I read in !emc-pstc that richwo...@tycoint.com wrote (in <846BF526A205F8
4BA2B6045BBF7E9A6ABC4FD5@flbocexu05>) about 'EMC-related safety issues',
on Thu, 3 Jan 2002:
>    Ken, let me address the specific case you mentioned - the RF camera used
> for
>    baby surveillance. In that particular application, surveillance for the
>    protection of persons, more severe immunity requirements apply. Those
>    requirements are either specified in EN 50130-4 or the particular ETSI
>    product EMC standard. A manucturer should understand that the product may
> be
>    used for protection of persons and apply the appropriate immunity
>    requirements. Failure to do so, could create a liability issue.

But that standard is INTENDED to apply to security and crowd-control
cameras in stores, places of public assembly and sheltered
accommodation. To 'read it on' to a simple camera used as a
sophisticated baby alarm (on the grounds that it is a 'social alarm'
application) is just the sort of man-trap that has many of us very
concerned indeed.

I'm going to get one of those cameras and mount it in my car. Now it has
to meet automotive immunity requirements. Has the manufacturer thought
of that? If the car camera works, I'll put two more in my boat and
plane. No doubt that has been taken into account as well.(;-)
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.