Dear Ken
I understand your concern and your comments, but all the IEE's guide was
trying to do was make people aware of the legal situation as it actually
exists - and recommend what engineers need to do to reduce their employers'
liability risks under present-day legislation. (Bearing in mind that some
safety modern laws in the EU can allow design engineers to be held personally
responsible as well as their employers.)

It appears to be a fact that exactly the situation you describe (and complain
about) below already exists due to the present-day Product Liability Laws in
the EU (and, I think, in the USA too).

So please don't shoot the messenger!

The only real defence under these Product Liability laws, is, as I understand
(I am no lawyer) is that 'the product met the world-wide state of the art in
safety design at the time it was placed on the market for a consumer'.

This is of course a difficult task, but one which automobile manufacturers
and many other large companies are well aware of and already have the
procedures to deal with, since they are prime targets for 'no win - no fee'
liability lawyers.

In the EU the General Product Safety Directive is going much further than the
above by making it mandatory for a manufacturer to consider advances in the
state of the art in safety design after a product has been placed on the
market. They are required to contact customers if any significant safety
improvements can be made even many years after they purchased the product -
possibly even recalling a product and modifying or replacing it.

It seems that consumer groups are getting stronger and having more of an
impact on the legislative process in the EU, and maybe elsewhere in the world
too.
Some manufacturers don't like the present direction of product liability
legislation, whereas others see it as a commercial opportunity.
As manufacturers we may complain about these developments, but as consumers
we might take a different view!

Many people in the EMC world are not used to the way things are done in the
world of safety and product liability. The IEE's guide is intended to help
fill that gap in their knowledge.

Regards, Keith Armstrong