>From personal experience, the companies I have had dealings with are still
in a period of transition from the old ISO 9000, and therefore any benefits
of the new system are still to be realised.

Best regards,
David Sproul

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Brian O'Connell
Sent: 08 August 2002 15:36
To: Product Safety Technical Committee
Subject: ISO 9k/2k relevance

Good People of the PSTC:

I've had some conversations with our Component Engineers, Sales and QA
people. I could not identify any customer that placed an order based on our
ISO 9k and/or 2k certification.  Nor could I identify any component
specified and/or purchased that was based on whether a supplier has ISO
certification.

Is the ISO "paper mill" relevant? Is there empirical evidence that ISO
certification results in "better stuff"?  Is ISO certification a requirement
for your purchasing policies? Has ISO certification been a determining or
contributing factor for selection of your company's products?

At this point, I am not being critical of the ISO "process"; I am attempting
to understand its ROI and relevance to product quality.

I speak only for myself; nothing said here represents my employer's
policies.

R/S,
Brian

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/