And, to add to what Jim has said, I can only guess what would happen to
sensitive, or not so
sensitive, electronics, internal wiring or electromechanical parts when an
open-air discharge occurs
inside a product, especially a shielded product. Erratic behavior may be the
lesser of what could
happen.

IMO, such electronics and/or parts might need to be really hardened against
such an event, depending
on the severity of the event. So, a few cents might have been saved on the
spark gap, but.....

Comments?

Best regards,

Ron Pickard
rpick...@hypercom.com

                    jim.eich...@xantrex.com

                    Sent by:                       To:
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
                    owner-emc-pstc@majordom        cc:

                    o.ieee.org                     Subject:     RE: Using PCB
traces as transient voltage suppressor

                    02/20/02 02:10 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Jim.eichner

Isn't the other issue here that creepage and clearance are normally required
between live parts and from live parts to ground?

If you buy components, you can go get approved components.

If you do it yourself on the board, you're going to invoke all kinds of
extra approvals work - evaluating your home-made spark gap to the standard
for transient voltage suppressors, or your home made fuse to the standard
for supplemental fuses, or...

Regards,
Jim Eichner, P.Eng.
Manager, Engineering Services
Xantrex Technology Inc.
Mobile Power
web: www.xantrex.com <http://www.xantrex.com>

Any opinions expressed are those of my invisible friend, who really exists.
Honest.