Hi Chris:

>   1.  Can anyone else verify the breakdown voltage of 1Megavolt/meter for
>   air?  Seems different than what I can remember; but I don't have a
>   reference handy.  It also seems to me that this would be very dependent
>   upon humidity and pollution degree?

In a separate message, I will send you the air
breakdown voltage curves from IEC 664.

Humid air has a very slightly higher electric
strength than dry air.  (Water vapor, a gas,
has quite different properties than water as
a liquid.)  I believe air temperature has more
effect on electric strength than does humidity.

Pollution affects the electric strength of
the scheme because it is deposited on the
electrodes.  This tends to reduce the electric
strength between the two electrodes.  This is
a larger effect than humidity.

The biggest factor affecting the electric
strength of air is air pressure.  Pollution,
temperature, and humidity have relatively
low effects.

Best regards,
Rich