I read in !emc-pstc that Jim Eichner <jim.eich...@xantrex.com> wrote (in
<67C475A5ECE7D4118AEC0002B325CAB601767759@BCMAIL1>) about 'SV: Generic
emissions - EN 61000-6-3', on Wed, 30 Jan 2002:

>If you are using the standards route to compliance, what determines which
>standards you MUST use?  Are we obligated to apply all applicable EN's that
>are published, regardless of whether or not they have appeared in the OJ, or
>are we only obligated to apply all EN's that have been published in the OJ?

We are not obligated to apply ANY standards. If we apply those that have
been notified in the OJ, we have a prima facie presumption of compliance
with the Directive. If we apply any other standards, we have no such
presumption, and our Declaration of Conformity is therefore weaker and
more likely to be challenged.

>Related questions:
>
>- If more than one standard seems to apply, do you have to use all of them
>in order to satisfy the standards route, or is one sufficient?

There is no straight answer. We must deal with all the 'essential
requirements', but that is too vague to be very useful - it doesn't do
much more than tell us we must consider both emissions and immunity.

We do not have to apply more than one standard for each phenomenon -
e.g. we do not need to apply more than one standard that deals with
high-frequency conducted emissions, but we must apply the one that is
intended for our product, not one intended for quite a different
product.

If you really can't be sure which product standard applies, ask here for
advice.

We must **also** apply EN61000-3-2, and -3 or -11 (and -12 instead of -2
when -12 is published), because no product standard ENs deal with low-
frequency conducted emissions or voltage changes.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!