John and everyone

I do not wish to get into a semantics argument as to whether the Commission
has chosen the most appropriate word to describe the subset of standards in
connection with the new approach, but the special use of the word
"harmonised" in connection with new approach directives has been employed
since at least the mid 1980s.  The term has particular relevance in the EMC
Directive because if harmonised standards are not applied in full, the TCF
route must be followed (which is not the case with the LVD).

Harmonisation Documents (HDs) are not (necessarily) harmonised standards in
this context and I'm sure their use varies from directive to directive.  HDs
(now withdrawn) were produced for the IEC 801 series, which were basic
standards.

In respect of the extra requirements, I have tried to highlight the relevant
words below as much as is possible with ASCII text.  I know this is European
English.  They are the Commission's words, not mine!  The final three points
are the additional requirements.

---------------------------------------
The "New Approach" directives are supported by "harmonised standards" which
play a significant role in ensuring their application. Such standards have
***first***   the characteristics inherent to European Standards :

The standards (typically EN, ETSs) are drafted by one of three European
Standard Organisations (CEN,CENELEC, ETSI)

The work is based on consensus

Standards are adopted after a public inquiry with the national votes based
on corresponding weighting features

Standards remain voluntary but their transposition into national standards
and the withdrawal of diverging national standards is mandatory according to
the internal rules of the European Standards Organisations.

Within the context of the "New Approach"   ***additional conditions***   are
superposed to the European Standards to cover the specific role of
harmonised standards :

*** The Commission issues a standardisation mandate according to the
procedure
of Directive 98/34/EC (consolidating Directive 83/189/EEC)

*** The standards are developed in taking due account of the essential
requirements

*** The reference of the standard is published in the Official Journal with
the
indication of the Directive for which the presumption of conformity should
apply

Best wishes

Brian Jones
EMC Consultant and Competent Body Signatory