I read in !emc-pstc that rehel...@mmm.com wrote (in
<of5a242f14.94f805e8-on86256b4c.00414...@mmm.com>) about 'EN 61000-3-2
applicability and let-outs', on Fri, 25 Jan 2002:

>>I realise that none of the above give much comfort to manufacturers of
>>domestic or consumer products, but maybe a computer manufacturer could
>offer
>>a version without PFC only for use in installations that have a dedicated
>LV
>>supply.
>
>No, the big problem is for manufacturers who make commercial and light
>industrial equipment

The Millennium Amendment re-classifies most of that equipment as Class
A.

>that are under
>16A and are connected to the public power mains. This is the majority of
>commercial equipment.
>
>As was mentioned previously, the harmonic and flicker standards are
>considered by many to be "skewed"
>standards because they were heavily influenced by the power industry
>virtually to the exclusion of all other
>data and input.

No, that's not entirely fair. AFAIK, nothing (credible) that was
*submitted* was ignored, but very little was submitted. Equipment
manufacturers either did not see a need to participate in the work or
(in the case of SMEs) did not know about it.

>The issue is not whether harmonics and line votage variations are a
>problem. The issue is to what extent they
>are a problem.

Correct, and this is different in different countries, even within
Europe.

>And until these standards become "unskewed" and all data is
>weighed, these two "tainted"
>standards will not be believeable.

The large 'Millennium' amendment to IEC/EN61000-3-3 removes virtually
all the 'skewing' from that standard, and the MA to IEC/EN61000-3-2 goes
a long way to removing it from that standard, *for most products*. If
you don't agree, please tell us what 'skewing' you still detect. With
specific information, we can take action in the IEC WG. Without it, we
can't.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!