Dear John
Thank you for your replies.
A couple of points...

Optional application of standards: I believe there is nothing to stop
purchasers from using any IEC standards in their contracts with suppliers. So
a purchaser of a 30A/phase equipment could specify that the equipment must
meet the emissions limits set out in IEC 61000-3-2. Nothing to do with CE
marking, of course, merely a private agreement. This was what I meant by
'optional' in the below.

Do I understand from the following correspondence...
QUOTE
>    4) My copy of EN 61000-3-2 has a paragraph at the end of its Scope
section
>    that says:
>    "Special equipment, which is not widely used and is designed in such a
way
>    that it is unable to comply with the requirements (limits), may be
subject
>    to installation restrictions. The supply authorities shall be notified
as
>    authorization may be required before connection."

This gobbledegook was deleted by the Millennium Amendment (MA, aka A14
to EN61000-3-2). No-one could define 'special' and 'not widely used',
when challenged to do so, so out it came!

>    So custom-made or low-volume manufactured equipment (even if under
>    16A/phase) does not have to comply with EN 61000-3-2, as long as their
users
>    check with their power suppliers that they are OK to be connected.

Yes, this is explained *properly* in clause 4 of the MA.
UNQUOTE
... that although the 'gobbledygook' paragraph has been removed the option to
not comply with EN 61000-3-2 still exists as long as users check with their
power suppliers that they are permitted to connect the equipment concerned?

Regards, Keith Armstrong
www.cherryclough.com