I read in !emc-pstc that Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> wrote (in
<200201232003.maa21...@epgc264.sdd.hp.com>) about 'Harmonic current
emissions', on Wed, 23 Jan 2002:

>Hi Keith and Ghery:
>

>There are a number of effects of harmonic current
>emission from non-linear loads.
>
>1)  When a large number of loads rich in triplen
>    harmonics are supplied from a 3-phase source,
>    the neutral current can be as high as root 3
>    of the phase current.  (This effect does not
>    exist on a single-phase distribution system,
>    or on a 3-phase system where each phase has
>    its own neutral.)

Consider that the 3rd harmonic current of a high-efficiency single-phase
rectifier is near 90% of the fundamental. Then consider that the third
harmonic currents *add arithmetically* in the neutral. That give a
neutral current of 2.7 times the fundamental current. If you take all
the triplen harmonics into account you get a neutral current of 2.85..
times the fundamental current in one phase.

[snip]

>The USA computer industry has been quite forward in
>addressing effects 1 and 2.  The computer industry
>was the force behind a series of academia-based
>seminars on the causes and solutions to effects 1
>and 2 that resulted in changes to the USA National
>Electrical Code and to distribution transformer
>testing and ratings.  (I presented in some of those
>seminars.)
>
>This is NOT denial.
>
>>   But whichever method is adopted, the customer pays the bill eventually and
>>   have more confidence in the highly competitive world of electronic products
>>   to come up with a cost-effective solution in a timely manner.
>
>One of the USA's major objections to EN61003-2 is
>that remedying the load repeats with each new product
>that is introduced, while remedying the source is a
>one-time remedy.  EN61000-3-2 requires continous
>cost to the consumer with each product.  (The cost
>is NOT trivial -- nearly double the cost of the power
>supply.)

No, that's certainly an exaggeration. We have been told various sums
from USD1 to USD5, and I suspect that the lower value is nearer the
truth.

> Indeed, this has forced manufacturers to
>develop one supply for the EU, and one supply for the
>remainder of the world.  And, forced two products for
>the world instead of one.
>
>(One of the benefits of EN61000-3-2 has been a real
>effort at power reduction so that more and more
>products are below the 50-watt exemption limit.)

75 W. A change to 50 W would need a new vote by national standards
committees, as is clarified in the Millennium Amendment.

[snip]
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!