I don't have much to say about flicker, but maybe I can reduce your
skepticism about harmonics. I have had three experiences regarding
failures caused by third harmonic currents.

The first was with mercury vapor lighting fixtures. An array of 1000w
277v single phase ballasts in hibay lighting for warehouses were
connected as a delta load on a three phase 277/480 volt supply. The
third harmonic current circulating in the loads overheated the ballasts
to the point of boiling the potting compound. The ballast (about ten
pounds) would burst the aluminum container and fall from the ceiling,
which caught people's attention. The solution was to replace them with a
better ballast and fuse each fixture. I participated in this
investigation in 1968 as a co-op student. This also resulted in
electrical code changes.

The second incident (1980s) was the burnout of a three phase
distribution transformer from third harmonic currents circulating in the
delta primary (where it is hidden from overcurrent protection). This was
at a manufacturing location of a computer company where the loads were
racks of computers preparing for shipment. The solution was to regularly
audit load currents at the facility and assure sufficient margin to
protect transformers and neutrals.

The third incident (1980s) was the overheating of neutral conductors in
office modular partitions. Partitions carried two of three phases of
120/208v supply to single phase outlets for desktop computers. The
combination of the unbalanced neutral current (which normally in a
balanced system without harmonics would equal the phase current that
would typically go back the third phase) plus the third harmonic current
(which adds from each phase in the neutral) overheated the neutral
conductor (which has no overcurrent protection). Insulation damage
resulted. The solution was to work with the partition manufacturers to
design a three phase model so the neutral (when single phase loads were
reasonably balanced across three phases) carried mostly just harmonic
currents.

This was all in the days before standards for harmonics were
established. Desktop minicomputers at that time also consumed much more
power. A solution of using four pole breakers with overcurrent in the
neutral and series overcurrent in delta loads would have also solved the
electrical distribution risks, but the solution chosen worldwide was to
regulate harmonic content of load currents. So, as you see, there were
some real risks and failures in harmonics, but the problem does not
appear regularly today due to standards compliance.

Bob Johnson