Dear Ghery
There is plenty of evidence, for harmonic problems, especially in large
cities and large office buildings.

For example, an electricity supply engineer told me that in the financial
district in London there are buildings where they cannot fit any power factor
correction capacitors to the fluorescent luminaires - because they fail
within days due to the waveform distortion caused by harmonic currents.
So they have buildings drawing 100's of kA of lighting current at a low power
factor (< 0.6 I understand). I also understand they have overheating problems
with cables under the Thames connecting the two halves of London, due to
harmonic currents.

In the early 90's I spoke with a USA-based consultant who told me about a
number of problems (e.g. completely burnt-out neutral cables) he had seen in
buildings in the US where they had installed lots of single-phase equipment.

'Banana Skin' No. 102 in the EMC + Compliance journal, Oct 2000 (read it in
the archives at www.compliance-club.com) describes harmonic overheating
problems with low-voltage lighting installations in hotels and public
buildings that has Fane Murray, a lighting consultant in the UK, very
concerned indeed.

I understand that the power distribution in the USA is generally less
susceptible to waveform distortion than in Europe, nevertheless I understand
that the US has its own harmonics problems – Mathieu van den Bergh, of